Tuesday, March 07, 2006

 

Abortion

I guess it’s time to talk about abortion. It’s topical. It’s important. Plus Wulfgar wants me to. I’ve delayed. It’s a complex issue. Usually when someone asks me how I stand on abortion, I say “it’s none of my d*mn business.” That’s the bottom line. I don’t know what constitutes life. I’m not about to legislate it. The issue really doesn’t have anything to do with me. I can’t get pregnant. I could cop out and use the “I’m pro-choice, but anti-abortion” line, you know, to give me the moral high ground both in the life/death dichotomy and in yearning for less government authority over my daily life. But I won’t do that. Supporting choice means supporting abortion. Instead of arguing the immediate issue of abortion, the issue of body control, defining life, etc – which other people who have more vested in those questions do much better than I ever could – I want to explore the larger issues behind the abortion debate, issues that affect me as a man and a citizen of the United States. So thus starts a series on abortion here at “4&20 blackbirds.” I’m a little sad to do this. It’s an issue that has been beaten to death. It’s an issue that seems so obvious to me. And it’s an issue that’s been forced on me by a handful of religious extremists. But I think it’s necessary as we search for the rhetorical tools and motivation to begin the fight to roll back an authoritarian movement exploiting religion and fear of change. So. Keep an eye peeled. I don’ know how many posts will appear. At least four. More if more information and ideas crop up.
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?